Monday 26 May 2008

Home alone

I had the 'Home Alone' post all done and ready to be posted on Thursday. All I needed to do was wither borrow a laptop, or sit next to one of my friends as they used their mac (I love mac's internet sharing). So I was planning to do that at break on Friday morning. This plan, as you can see, failed rather.

Friday morning dawned far too early. I got up and finished packing, tried to call my mum, got breakfast and came to morning worship. We had got about 6 or 7 minutes into worship, still on the first song, when suddenly the music and the lights all stopped! We had had ANOTHER power out. It was awesome though, because everyone just carried right on and we worshiped mainly using the drums as backing. So we sang and danced for a while before starting a fire tunnel. Teams Mozambique and Brazil had done a fire tunnel for the other's when they went off on min-outreach, so they returned the favour. It was so funny, it being in the gloom of the emergency lighting, accompanied by about 5 of the guys on the various drums we had on the stage.

We had the first part of our lessons in the dark as well. We have had Rick D'Orazio this week, speaking about church planting. He is an amazing speaker, so immensely likable and entertaining and he had some amazing messages to give us.

Right after the morning session we were off to mini outreach.

Break down to follow



Last weekend 4 of the 6 outreach teams when off on their mini-outreach. Mini outreach is basically a shorter version of our main outreaches. The team goes away for the weekend and works with a church preaching, doing worship, running car washes, prophesying- anything really.

Team Brazil (that's me) and team Mosambique however are going this coming weekend, so we were, for a whole weekend, home alone. Ok so there were about 20 of us, but after having 60 or 70 of us around for 2 months, it was a big shock.

Throughout the day we waved off the various teams. Lizzie and I were so sad to see them go that we sent them off with waving hankies and tears, running alongside the cars – it was good fun.

Later on in the day both teams bundled into the cars and headed off to Woodbridge where we went to see the latest Narnia movie... AHHHH FILM, it's a film! I have picked up so many americanisms! It's awful! So anyway we saw Prince Caspian. Personally I thought it was an amazing film, but it differed from the book so much that it really detracted from my enjoyment of it and I came out feeling really betrayed by the film makers and really quite angry. After journaling about it for over an hour and talking to God about it (no joke I was journaling for about 2 hours on Saturday morning and about half was about the film!) I feel much better and can say that it was an amazing film with some fantastic points. So after the film we came back and had a late night boogie in the car park (was just about to call it a parking lot!). It was hilarious, because Otis' car was blaring out music and whenever a heavy base part came on the lights on the dash board would dim and you could hear the engine revving harder to produce enough power!

Saturday I woke up at about 12:30, so after my mammoth journaling session it was half two before I even thought about getting dressed. But get dressed I did and went to read my book out in the sun. It was incredibly windy though and after having to chase my notebook and my pillow across the carpark I decided to re-locate to the other side of the building. Here however although the wind was as often, when it gusted round it would pelt me with bits of debris. So I had to find a place that was in the sun, but out of the wind and away from the bits of grit that were now peppering my clothes and hair. Shawn's truck! Bingo! So I clambered up in the back of Shawn's pick up truck and lay reading my book and soaking up the rays. It was bliss.

Saturday evening I helped out with soaking in the main church. They were short of a keyboard player so Jonatas asked if I would help out. I'm up for getting all the practice I can, so I agreed. The soaking session is two hours long, so as you can imagine we played quite a lot of songs and we didn't manage to practice many of them before hand. To add to that I hadn't played with anyone in the band before and they use in-ear monitors which I have never used before, so I didn't really make best use of the sound check, meaning I couldn't hear everyone in the levels I might normally ask for. So it was an experience. However I did it, I played the majority of the chords right (though there were some stonkingly bad ones which I really hope didn't distract everyone else too much). Was fun in the song they transposed though when I realised halfway through that there was another chord that I hadn't worked out and I had to do it on the spot. Like I say, it was good practice. I'm glad I did it, and God came which was fab. After soaking it was party time. We had food, we had music, we played games in the dark, and games in the gloom, we ran up and down, scared each other silly and just had a great time. We were up until about 1:30 playing games!

Sunday was it's usual long day, with church (where we prophesied over the entire youth group), a trip to Nandos for lunch, kids ministry and then the glorious return of the other students. I went quite silly as I realised just how much I had missed everyone, even after only 2 days. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be for the 3 weeks of normal outreach! I was so pleased to see everyone that I just talked with everyone, ran around and beamed at them all. Then stayed up till half three talking. I didn't stop talking on Monday either as I used the day off to sleep, and talk, and talk, and talk. I didn't really manage to do any more on my book report! Woops. Oh well got a few more days to do that.

No comments: